The original name of the district was Teaneraki, but it was changed in the early eighties to Enfield owing to the similarity with Taranaki which was confusing to the postal authorities. Enfield Public School was opened in 1875.
The building stood on two acres of land, was of wood and iron and contained two class rooms. 100 pupils could be accommodated. The school closed in 2003 owing to a decline in roll.